Saturday, 24 November 2007

The F Word!

The biggest thing for me in my recovery was fatigue! That was partly because it was unlike anything I'd come across before - prior to my accident, having a nap or some quiet time every so often was just not the way I did things. And it was also because, particularly early on, it had a tremendous impact on my day-to-day life - early on in my recovery, I wasn't able to sustain more than one hour's concentration basically on anything at all.

And there was simply no way of avoiding fatigue - I had to learn to deal with it! If I ever let fatigue build up, it would get a massive amount worse on me. So bad that I could barely do anything except stay in bed at home for days at a time!

Fatigue is one of the topics that I most want to write about on this blog. I want to write about the things I did that went badly and lead me to spend days at home. And I want to write about the things that went well for me and made me feel like my fatigue was nothing at all. I continue to look forward to telling you more on here.

Cheers,
Mike

2 comments:

Sam said...

Hey Mike,

This is my 2nd post and being tired all the time after doing something for an hr not evn has been one of worst symtoms bc I was such a active person before my accident. I hv to take naps so oftens in the afternoon and still sleep at night. How do you overcome getting up in the morning? its hasnt been easy for me at all knowing i hv to wake up and to deal with daily grind of living with tbi?

Mike said...

Sam,

For many TBI recovers, fatigue is the worse! It definitely was for me. Stick with it, though chap, and learn it. Fatigue gets better.

I was a very active person before my injury, too. If one was active, possibly there are few things worse than getting used to TBI fatigue.

However, you can deal with fatigue and still be an active person - the trick is to be organised. Think about what activities make you feel more tired and how much rest you need to have around them. Plan your day to fit in the stuff you want to do.

As I said in my last reply post to you, the trick to fatigue is choosing to recover from it. You can do it, all you have to do is choose to recover from it.

Cheers,
Mike