Sunday, 16 October 2011

From theorising in my brain to theorising in my thesis!

I mentioned in an update in my last post that I had completed my Masters thesis.  I decided readers might well want to know more about how I found it so I've pulled together this post.


Me with the result of 21 months' work: a 300-page bound book.

The main word for how I found it: big!  My thesis started out as a simple question: what made New Zealanders use their debit card payment system, EFTPOS, so much more than Australians or the citizens of other countries used theirs?  Before my brain injury got in the way of things, I'd often pondered doing postgraduate study in economics.  Suddenly, I had an interesting research question to study.  Once this simple idea had germinated, however, it seemed nothing could stop it.  I found an economics professor in my hometown or Wellington willing to supervise my completing a Master of Arts By Thesis.  My thesis eventually became an 80,000+ word study of the economics of the development of retail payment systems in seven Western countries.

Although I started with the plan of finishing the thesis in only one year, it took me 21 months to put it to bed.  I was however very happy with the finished product.  (If you're really interested, the full thing can be downloaded from my university's research archive here, although I summarised it substantially in the context of New Zealand in this guest post for the NZ political blog, Kiwiblog.)  What was the greatest issue for getting my injured brain through thesis writing?  Well, it seems there were two: theorising about my idea in my brain and getting that theorising written down in my thesis.

In terms of theorising in my brain, some major things guided me forward.  When I think back over them now, they're remarkably consistent with ideas I've written about for TBI recovery.  I found it very useful simply to keep talking to the right people about my thesis and where I felt it was heading.  I also thought it important that I enjoyed myself, writing my thesis, and simply keep the faith that I would figure it out.  Did my brain injury slow me down as I thought my way through my work?  I think that's more than likely, but I was enjoying myself so don't feel like that mattered at all.  I just hung in there believing I would find the right way of thinking through my thesis.

As I had figured out parts of my work in my head, the next trick was writing them up in my thesis.  Once again, several things helped me considerably.  The two ideas listed above once more came in handy.  The art of writing well is not a simple one, however.  I think it helped me substantially to have practiced my writing on various blogs around, including on this one.  This is yet another thing that I think has parallels in brain injury recovery, which I outlined in this post, Get Into It!

Even before my brain injury, I think my thesis would have been a major bit of work.  How did I feel about trying to do it with a brain that didn't operate as well as it once did?  I just shrug my shoulders and think, oh well, at least I was still around to do it.  My brain injury could have been so much worse!

If you are a recoveree considering doing something big, I wholeheartedly encourage you to get stuck in and have a crack at it!  See your brain injury not as some insurmoutable obstacle, but as merely something to be managed.  Go for it!

Cheers,
Mike

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Mike.
Wow, sincere congratulations on completing your Master's Thesis.It's an awesome accomplishment. Back in September of 2009, I told you that my son was returning to University to finish his BS in Mechanical Engineering after a very serious TBI. Back then he was just starting back for his senior year and I had commented that we hoped he could maintain a "C" average. Well,like you he took 2x the time he would have before his TBI. He also benefited greatly by taking his time. It was surely difficult but he enjoyed it more, could focus more on less classes and got to know his profs much better. One of his engineering profs turned out to be a TBI recoverer! So what's the end of this story. He graduated in December 2010 with a 3.2/4.0 GPA and now works as a Mechanical Engineer in a US fortune 500 company in their professional development program. They are rotating him through various divisions of the corporation to prepare him for future leadership positions. This from a kid that we were told later by his medical team that they never expected to ever return to University! The love of family and friends, absolute determination to succeed and focusing on your objectives not how long it's going to take are key. You cannot and must not be discouraged along the way. You will not succeed in the manner you first thought before your TBI. You will learn to succeed through techniques and accommodations as you make your way. Best wishes and hello to your sister who commented on one or two of my posts in the past. I know how proud of my son I am and I know your parents must be extremely proud of the son they raised.

Bob

Mike said...

Thanks, Bob. I do recall your comments about your son. From your update now, it sounds as if he's really showing us how it's done. I wish him all the best.

Life throws curve balls at us sometimes. This blog is about how to recover from them. I never meant for it to be focused solely on me and am very pleased that others are also providing great demonstrations of how to recover.

Thanks for your interest, again. I hope all's well for you, too.

Cheers,
Mike

ssgeog said...

Thank you for your blog. My mTBI situation ended a romantic relationship with the man who asked me to marry him just before my concussion/injury and jeopardized my job with the US government because my unsympathetic boss thought I was making it up.

My neurologist just told me 11 months post injury that I am progressing well and have a good pronosis.

Cheers,
Sally

Mike said...

That's no good, Sally. Still, if your ex-fiancée wasn't up to helping you through your TBI recovery, he most probably wasn't worth your time. Similarly, your boss is lucky that he apparently decided to keep you on board. ;-)

I am pleased your neurologist thinks you are on the mend. Best of luck with further recovering from here.

Cheers,
Mike

Poetic Pilgrim said...

Hi Mike, Do you have an email address that I can contact you at directly?
Thanks,
Colleen

Mike said...

Colleen, for stuff relating to this blog, I use howtorecover@gmail.com.

I'm not always able to respond quickly (you're in luck, today). I do my best to come back to people, though. Please try me there.

Cheers,
Mike

Doris Campbell said...

It’s amazing that you did your master thesis in only 21 months’ of work! Well, I think everything pays off once you see the product of your hard work. Thesis writing can really be tedious, but if you commit on it and concentrate on doing it, then the long write wouldn’t be a problem at all. Anyway, how’s the life after finishing it? I bet you have now the time of your life.

Mike said...

Thanks, Doris. Life continues apace.

My partner was just saying the other day I should write an update post for this blog. I'll hope to get to it soon.

Be in touch.

Cheers,
Mike