Sunday, 28 September 2008

Brain Lock

I've had another issue that has occasionally cropped up since my TBI. I get something in my head and set about doing it... no matter what! Indeed, I discussed one occurence of it in Mike's Regrets; almost getting another TBI by trying to body-surf dumping waves at a surf beach I went to.

Quite suddenly, I become much less aware of any factors indicating that what I'm doing isn't the best approach. Something else happens, something new crops up, but I just seem to ignore it. It's as if my brain isn't flexible enough to cope with the changing situation. It doesn't happen that often - normally my brain operates more or less as it used to. When it does happen, though, I describe it as brain lock.

For me, brain lock is almost as if I simply forget to think about other stuff. I become focused on the task at hand; on doing (or saying or being) whatever it was I had intended to do. And I seem to ignore everything else, no matter how relevant.

As I've written before on this blog, I can be very determined about stuff when I want to be, but this is different. When I'm being determined about something, I do my best to take in all relevant aspects of ths situation. When I've got brain lock, it's as if I'm simply ignoring everything else. Brain lock seems a great way of describing my problem.

I have yet to come up with a full-proof way of dealing with my episodes of brain lock. I hope that it will be at least a little easier if I'm aware that sometimes I do it. As I get more experienced with the new me, I hope that I'll become better at knowing when I might get brain lock.

I don't know if every TBI recoverer suffers from brain lock, but suspect it might be quite common. Whether it is or isn't, though, I write about it here to give readers a better idea of the sorts of problems they might face. I do believe nearly every TBI problem can be solved, or at least substantially helped, with a bit of careful, thorough thinking and problem solving. I hope this one isn't any different.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. I've now added a post about Managing Brain Lock

1 comment:

The Real Dorothy said...

Hi Mike,

I know how you feel with the brain lock thing. I suffered a severe head injury (GCS 3) a decade ago and can back you up. I have definitely had what you call "brain lock" happen, and it can really be quite disconcerting in retrospect.

For me, doing something, - or doing something the way I am doing it can become almost a compulsion. (I *have* to do X and I *have* to do it *this way.*

I actually just started a blog myself and I think that my December 17th post has to do with "brain lock." Even though the weather and everything else was against me I simply had to stick to my original plan, and partially due to this inflexibility my brain stopped functioning. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

If so, I've found that it's a lot less likely to happen if your body and mind aren't under a lot of stress (sick, stressed, in inclement weather, overstimulated, and so forth).

Check out my blog when you get a chance, and let me know if that's what you mean, and if you find a solution then I'd be quite curious to hear it!

http://thekayinkafka.blogspot.com/