Wednesday, 5 December 2007

Fighting My Own War - My Combative Language

Readers may soon notice that I often use military-style language when talking about my recovery. I've stayed away from military words until recently, but my recent reference to my 'big gun' (in this post) is more the way I normally talk about my recovery. So that post may well represent a taste of things to come. Though my words are a little boyish, I make no apology for them.

I take an approach that feels right for me - it is reflected in the way I talk about things. I do not blame anyone for my injury, but I take my recovery from it very seriously. At a fundamental level, I regard my injury and all of its effects as 'the enemy' - to be struggled against and, in the end, to be beaten!

I am sure others will take different approaches. Their language might contain lots of things like flowers, olive branches and turtle doves. :-) Yet I am fighting my own war and their approach is not mine.

It might be interesting for you to think about your approach to recovery and the language you use to talk about it.

Cheers,
Mike

No comments: