Saturday, 1 December 2007

The Neuro-Rest

I wrote here about the problem that fatigue was for me. In many ways, it was like a big monster. But, when big monsters come a'calling, it's time to bring out the big guns to hunt them with! And, luckily, I thought of one big gun during my recovery - the neuro-rest!

It sounds a little complicated, but it's actually very simple. Neuro-resting is simply when I shut my eyes and try to stop thinking about stuff. So, no talking, no listening, no interaction with anything in my environment! Basically, I do my best to fall asleep. Sometimes, I'm successful in doing so and that's great. But it doesn't matter if I can't. My brain neurons still seem to get rested!

The reason such a simple thing is still a 'big gun' is that neuro-rests can be done anywhere. All that's needed is for me to be able to fall asleep. So I can do it sitting up in a room pretty much anywhere. For instance, I can do it while travelling in a car or plane. I can even do it where there's background noise as long as I'm not listening to it.

The other good thing about the phrase, neuro-rest, is that it's a normal-sounding name for a rather unusual activity. So, if a family member or friend sees me awake, but just sitting there with my eyes shut, they can say, oh, he's just neuro-resting. And they don't feel like they should come over and talk to me.

So welcome to what armed me the best to cope with my recovery - my big gun, the neuro-rest.

Cheers,
Mike

2 comments:

Tracy W said...

You forget another advantage - neuro-rest sounds ultra-medical, and who is to argue that you don't need some high-tech sounding medical treatment? "Resting" sounds like a choice, "neuro-rest" is definitely something the doctor ordered.

BrainandSpinalCord.org said...

Cool. I like the name too, sounds a lot more objective than "meditation". The new-agers will tell you that you're "transcending the physical plane" or something weird like that. Hah! I have actually had so-called "out of body" experiences, but I don't take the term literally. I think the phenomenon is simply another wonder of our amazing brains.

--Jason