Tuesday, 25 March 2008

The Game is Still Wide Open!

I started this label, A Case for Hope, to talk about the distance I've come in my own recovery. It's seen me go from a coma to something approaching normal in about three years. Recently, however, I've come across several stories that made me want to say more about hope.

My first point is that the brain is an exceptionally complex piece of equipment (and the bold text's because I mean it!). Quite simply, it's light years from being even close to properly understood! I find it somewhat disappointing people don't appreciate the head on their own shoulders when they suggest the human brain is reasonably well understood. When it comes to understanding even just how much we do and don't understand about it, it seems like we've got no jolly idea! For instance, scientists don't yet even understand why humans (or any mammal for that matter) need to sleep! Don't believe me? Take a look at this BBC article.

Since we don't come close to understanding the brain, it seems obvious we won't really understand recovery from brain injury. Three years in to my recovery, I am only now getting an appreciation for how little is understood. For instance, take the connection between the length of time in the coma-like state, Post Traumatic Amnesia, and the severity of a brain injury. I've previously had this link presented to me as being reasonably strong, but the article now on the right hand side of this blog, Debunking Ten Myths of Brain Injury Recovery, underlined that recent research refutes there being any strong link.

I certainly do not deny that there are and will continue to be heart-wrenching stories of TBI recoverers very affected by their injury. Nor do I deny that TBI recovery is a long, hard road. Rather, I say all this because, if you or someone you love has just had a TBI, it is very likely that there is nothing that can rule out a strong recovery. The game is still wide open!

If the game is that way, what can anyone do to recover well, what can help them win their game? The answer seems to me to be, start by having the right attitude. Believing that you can't recover further is very likely to make it so. Believing that you can recover is the start to making a good comeback and that is what I wish for you!

Cheers,
Mike

2 comments:

Tracy W said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BrainandSpinalCord.org said...

Greetings from the USA, Mike! It really is amazing how little we understand about the human brain. TBI's often affect people in totally different ways as well.

We're learning more and more all the time though. Have you read about the new artificial blood used to treat patients directly after a TBI? Did you know that physical exercise reduces the level of a certain protein in the brain that inhibits the brain's ability to repair itself (neuroplasticity)?

I just stumbled upon your blog today and I think it's pretty interesting, I'll be subscribing. If you're interested in learning about the latest research and news about TBI's you ought to check out my new blog at http://www.brainandspinalcord.org

Thanks and take care!