Wednesday, 26 March 2008

Feeling Sorry for Myself

In the post, At Least It Wasn't Worse!, I set out a pretty good way for me to avoid feeling sorry for myself. I think about how lucky I am to still be here and still be here in fairly good order. It's good to remind myself of that from time to time. To do that, I hang out with guys that are very affected by their TBIs.

For much of the first seven months following my accident, I was in a brain injury rehabilitation centre. It was very easy to get to know the people that lived there, some of whom were so affected. Those guys can't do things like speak or walk let alone work, drive a car or live by themselves, but they're very much still alive.

Getting to know them, it's very easy to see that they've had such a rough deal from their TBIs, yet they're still really good people. It's no problem having good, rewarding conversations with them communicating through body language or communication devices like the Lightwriter.

I can assure you that, for me, this certainly isn't a competitive thing. I don't look at them and feel good that I've recovered better. I would absolutely love to see them recover further. In the mean time, I will continue to do my best to drop by and say hi when I get the chance. It's the least I can do since there probably wasn't much at all that stopped me from being more like them.

Cheers,
Mike

1 comment:

BrainandSpinalCord.org said...

Hey Mike! You have one of the best attitudes of anybody I've ever talked to. I think it's really great that you're spending time with guys who may, in certain ways, be worse off than you. I'm sure your positivity has a great effect on a lot of people.

I think you've grasped what it takes to achieve true happiness as well. We really do need to step outside of our own problems and stop thinking about ourselves as much as we can. Selfish thoughts lead to misery.

Keep up the blogs man, I enjoy reading them!

--Jason