Saturday, 26 April 2008

Phrases for Mike to Avoid: Again and Back To

In the post, Mike's Path to the Third Level of Acceptance, I put parts of two phrases in bold: "when I start doing this again" and "once I get back to that". I did so because these have become words, even now - over three years since my accident - I need to work to avoid using. I try to avoid them because of what I'm learning about accepting my TBI. When I use 'again' or 'back to', I imply that, because I used to do it, I'm certain I'll once again do it.

Yet part of me accepting my TBI is accepting that I might never again do what I once did. So I might never again do what I did previously.

I'm never able to stop being careful to accept my TBI and not use these words. Most recently, I've been tempted to use them when I talk about my running and swimming pace. I'm relearning how to be a triathlete (I wrote a little about it here). As I restart training, my mind quickly turns to my pace and how it compares to my pre-accident pace.

Before my accident, I could run a kilometre (about 0.62 of a mile) in four minutes and swim it in 15 and I used to be able to do both kilometre after kilometre. Now, I'm recovering from a TBI and, despite an amount of training, I can only manage about 70-80% of that pace.

I think it's a technique thing more than a fitness thing; I can only maintain that pace for a single kilometre before it starts dropping away and I'm not much faster when I try and sprint over shorter distances. Since it's a technique thing, the cause is very likely my brain injury; the brain is unable to perform what's being asked of it. Deep down, I have to admit that that means the brain may never relearn proper technique.

It took awhile for me to accept that I might never reach my pre-accident pace for any sort of long distance race. Now, though, I do my best not to imply that I will definitely reach it. I use phrases like, "if I become able to run four minute ks once more".

This post isn't meant to invite sympathy. First of all, I am incredibly lucky to have survived my accident and be recovering as well as I am. Secondly, you can be certain I will fight tooth and nail to reach those paces and achieve my pre-accident goals. But I accept that I've had my brain injury and I might never reach them and I might never do what I once did.

Cheers,
Mike

No comments: