Tuesday, 29 April 2008

My Starting Point

A comment on my post, TBI Recovery - Not About Restoring the Old Me, But Improving the Current Me, led me to think about yet another aspect of acceptance - what I use as my starting point when I talk about my recovery. Early on, many recoverers (and I definitely include myself here) compare themselves and their abilities to how they were before their accident. It is very easy for others to see how pointless such a comparison is, but, for the one making it, it can be remarkably difficult to break!

For TBI recovery, it is very common for the recoverer to have no recollection of either the accident or the time immediately following it. My accident must have been such a shock and I was in such a bad way for weeks following it, people often ask, would I really want to remember that time. The only reasonable answer would have to be a definite no!

There are also other reasons for strongly remembering the time before my accident. Chief among them is that I really used to enjoy that time. My accident brought it to an end, but I really want to get back to it!

There's one small problem with focusing on the time before, though: I had a TBI in between now and then. The jolly thing came very close to killing me and I've been incredibly lucky to pull through. I've came to feel a lot better about that - about where I've been - once I came to accept I'd had my TBI. Once I learnt to accept it, it's so much easier to see my starting point not as my pre-accident days, but as the day of the accident, which I ended near death, laid out in a hospital bed!

In terms of remembering better days, acceptance means I'm better able to think of what I enjoy about my current, post-accident life. Yes, it lacks some of the things of my old life, but it has other stuff the old life didn't. I can now accept I've had my TBI and focus on the stuff I enjoy of my new life.

Cheers,
Mike

No comments: