Sunday, 26 July 2009

Getting Red-Carded!

In New Zealand's favourite contact sport, Rugby Union, players receive a yellow-card if they commit a foul bad enough for the referee to suspend them from the game for ten minutes. Players receive a red-card if the referee decides to permanently suspend them from the game. A similar sort of approach is used in football or soccer.

Basically, I know when I'm tired, but, if I'm trying to stay part of the action, I might not respond to it. My brother adapted rugby's card system to encourage me to manage my fatigue.

If I look tired enough for a one, I'm given a yellow-card and sent off for a half-hour neuro-rest. If I'm so tired that a normal neuro-rest won't be enough and it's the end of the day, I get a red-card. Time to pack it all in and head off to bed.

While somewhat light-hearted, this system is great for keeping me focused on what's really important here; managing my fatigue! Hope it also helps others.

Cheers,
Mike

1 comment:

Rob Hamilton said...

Hi Mike, Rob Hamilton here. Just seen your name pop up on an Ironman email and your plans to be on the start line in 2010 - fantastic to hear! I completed Ironman this year and loved the whole experience. I know you will as well. I am keen to catch up but don't have your contact details. Give me a call at FNZC if you are keen. Cheers, Rob