Sunday, 26 July 2009

More Unsympathetic Reactions: Getting Ejected from a Bar!

I mentioned in the post, Unsympathetic Reactions to Brain Injury, getting stopped by a nightclub doorman as I entered his bar and asked how many drinks I had had. That first bar was in Melbourne, Australia, and it was during another recent trip to Australia that I had a similar experience; this one actually resulted in me being kicked out of the bar.

It was the end of a long day of touring near Alice Springs in Central Australia. I was relaxing with my tour group in a local bar. Even four years on from my TBI, the end of a long day normally means one thing: I'm fatigued!

During a trip to the toilet, I was unknowingly followed by one of the bar's doormen. He decided that my stumbling, fatigued motions were due to intoxication. After stopping me, he said, I'm going to have to ask you to leave.

Nightclub doormen are not people to muck around with! They're unlikely to listen if I try telling them of my brain injury. I decided it was best just to politely accept and ask if I can say goodbye to my tour group. That request was granted and then I was politely sent on my way.

Did I get annoyed about the incident? Well, it's wasn't good having my night ended for me, but I just did my best to accept it. The doorman was doing his job and meant no ill-feeling. The sheer fact I was fatigued shows me that it was time for bed, anyway.

Basically, the only sensible option I saw, and still see now, was to accept it and live/leave to fight another day!

Cheers,
Mike

No comments: