Friday, 24 February 2012

How to celebrate my recovery

I think it's very important for recoverers to celebrate the wins from their recoveries: that's another thing that helps keep us going during dark days. There are two things I think are important to the way I celebrate my recovery:

  • some time ago, my brother had the great idea of not doing anything on the 20th February, the anniversary of my accident, but on the 21st, the "anniversary" of my recovery and
  • consistent with my thinking discussed in this 2008 post that the state of my recovery depends on what goals I've achieved, I make special emphasis on celebrating my recovery when I've done something cool.

Earlier this week, I had a special celebration on the evening of the 21st. It was the seventh anniversary of my recovery and, during the last couple of years, I achieved the two big goals I discussed here, completion of my Ironman and my Masters thesis. I went out with my parents for a special meal that night to celebrate.



For some reason, I felt like I had an extra reason to celebrate this year, it felt like I was ruling a line under my recovery. Of course, as I discussed in this post, I firmly believe my recovery will continue from here. However, eventually I think our lives and our recoveries become inseparable. That was what I reckon I was celebrating: I was ruling a line under my recovery by acknowledging that my life and my recovery had become inseparable. I'll continue thinking through this idea so, if I'm confusing you by referring to it, please hold on and look out for my further posts on the subject.

Cheers,
Mike

3 comments:

Nick said...

Good on you Mike - well worth celebrating!

Jack said...

Great read. I agree that is so important for people who are recovering from a TBI to try and focus on the positive things in life and in turn help them focus on the end of the recovery. Recovery is such a hard process to get through but as long as the person going through it knows that it will get better will keep them going. Thanks for letting me share.

Mike said...

No problem Jack. Thanks for letting us know your thoughts. Best wishes if you're another recoverer or helping someone else to be so.

Cheers,
Mike