Wednesday, 27 February 2008

Mike's Family

In the post, There For Me, I said I'd have a crack at summarising some of the main ways my family contributed. To keep this post to a realistic size, perhaps it's easiest if I run through each family member and talk about some of the crucial ways they contributed.

  • I talked here about how my Mum and Dad have always talked to me about how I'm finding stuff. Nothing has ever stopped their pursuit of (sensible) knowledge of that and also what might help me out in my recovery. For instance, Mum found out about My Brain Trainer for me and Dad greatly encouraged me in my search for a better surgeon to help me with problems with my eyes.
  • My sister and brother-in-law organised for me a bunch of technology-related things to help me recover. They were this blog to update friends on my recovery and a computer with an internet connection while I was still an inpatient in rehabilitation. I'll write more about both shortly.
  • My brother always had unshakeable faith that I would recover well. Obviously, that lost its important as I proved him right, but it was especially so early on. My brother's faith was very important to the morale of my family during the dark days I was still in a coma.
  • My extended family who unquestioningly had me along to family activities, such as outings, parties or even just my cousin's weekend sport. To be good for my recovery, I don't think it really mattered what I went to, just as long as there was plenty of people there. I've written that my personality didn't change much, but, even if it had, it wouldn't have mattered to my extended family!
Hopefully this gives you a quick run down on what families can do for you.

Cheers,
Mike

No comments: