Tuesday, 26 February 2008

There For Me

I've recently taken a moment to reflect back over what I've written about on this blog so far. There's one thing I've alluded to, but have not properly got in to ... until now. That thing's actually very simple; it's family! Time and again during my recovery, my family has come through for me. I come from a very tight-knit family of six that's part of a much larger extended family group. And they've been doing an awesome job of supporting me throughout all of my recovery!

It's very difficult for me to put in to words what my family has meant and continues to mean to me and my recovery, overall. Rather than trying to describe that, I'm going to take an easier option. I'm going to write down the more major ways my family has contributed. I'll talk to some of my recovering friends about doing the same. In that way, I hope to show you the range of ways that family can make a difference.

If you're in the family of someone with TBI, please remember that you have the power to be a tremendous force for good for that person's recovery. Times might be tough and personality changes and general difficulties might have made the injured person seem entirely different, but please hang in there and see what you can help them become.

If you're the one with the TBI and you don't have a close family, I seriously ask you not to despair. Like the determination to recover, family is only one of a number of factors that may or may not lie behind a successful recovery. Yes, I see it as important, but not having a close family certainly doesn't stop you from relying on other factors. Case 2 in the case series report I link to on the right hand side of this blog discusses a recoverer without significant family support. He says, "It comes down to being tough-motivated, strong, disciplined, accept small steps in your recovery, [and] learn from your mistakes."

So, while important, family is certainly not a be-all and end-all.

Cheers,
Mike

No comments: