Friday, 15 February 2008

Why Am I Recovering Well?

Making My Recovery Count

In this earlier post, I talked about how I felt better able to cope with the weight of my recovery because I felt so lucky that my accident wasn't worse. I am aware, however, that there is still the question for some of exactly why wasn't it worse. Why did I survive? Why am I recovering well?

A couple of years ago, I met a Canadian couple who had an extremely close shave on the island of Koh Phi Phi, Thailand during the 2004 tsunami. They were swamped by the wave, but very thankfully survived by climbing on to the third floor of their hotel. Having such a lucky escape, though, the issue they had to deal with was, why did we survive while so many didn't? I guess this idea extends to brain injury. Why did I survive? Why am I recovering well when others are not? What stopped me ending up like them?

I don't have much opinion on any question of why things happened the way they did. If you've read some of my other writings on here, you may have guessed that, when I'm involved, an opinion is never far away! :-) Now that I am recovering well, I fully intend to make it count. I feel like I've been given this amazing gift, this strong recovery. Now it's up to me to use it how ever I please. And I am determined to use it and use it well!

Making my recovery count is a one reason for writing this blog. By simply reading this now, you are helping me make my recovery count further. So thank you.

Cheers,
Mike

2 comments:

Rikki Gandolf said...

Hi Mike, I have read your blog and have learned much from the description of your journey. I am sure that others will get hope from it. You describe your recovery in a way which will help others but yet is clear that recovery from TBI can be very different for different people. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Larry and Beth Jameson said...

We applaud your efforts as a survivor and spreading the word about brain injury.
Larry & Beth Jameson
http://traumaticbraininjurysurvivors.blogspot.com