Saturday, 12 July 2008

Breaking the 40 Hour Week Barrier

I'll start this post with something that will be fairly obvious: I love my job! Getting myself into a position where I could properly do it has been a focus for me right from the word, go (or maybe the words, severe brain injury :-) !

And by properly doing it, I do mean full time work. The problems with fatigue caused by my brain injury meant, for a long time, all I could manage was part time work: a few hours a day. After my accident, my first week back at work was only three hours long (for the entire week!). I could never enjoy doing my job part-time the same as I had doing it full-time. So my target was always a normal week's work for economic consulting: 40 hours!

It's taken awhile, but, with care and attention (using things like neuro-resting at work), I finally achieved it, three years and a bit years after my accident. It is difficult for me to communicate here how important a milestone this was for me.

I've prepared this graph to celebrate my rise of the phoenix. It sets out the billable hours worked (that is, those hours I could charge someone else for) since my accident, combined with a few important dates around my accident.



I think it is this graph that does the best job of setting out the progress I have made coming back since my accident. I've written one more post about it, Reasons for My Travel and Mike's World Tour. I'll also write another discussing the trends in this graph.

Cheers,
Mike

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A big congratulations from over the pond Mike!!!! I know how this means to you and as a consultant (albeit a techie one versus an economic one) I know what this means from an independence and financial stability stand point.

Maybe I could learn some lessons about resting to ensure that I keep my work levels sustainable.