Saturday, 19 July 2008

TBI Escapism

TBI Escapism: the desire to get away from one's brain injury, to escape its effects, to have a day when things are 'back to normal' - the way they were before the accident. I have written about the concept before in the post, Wanting to Leave Care. As I said in that post, the feeling is very understandable. Departing on a holiday might seem a way to get a break, to relax, to return and feel better placed to carry on the struggle that is recovery.

Unfortunately with brain injury, though, there ain't no where to hide. Your brain is something you take with you everywhere. There isn't any way you can leave it behind, even for just a few short days.

People might well read about Mike's World Tour and wonder, was it TBI escapism that motivated me to take it. I can assure the reader that it was not. Right from the word, go, I was very conscious of the effects of my brain injury on my travel. That is what made me take a month-long trip first just to see how I got on travelling with the effects of my brain injury. While I was away, of course, I was still recovering, still learning about my new brain worked, still trying to think of ways to make it work better. In that way, Mike's World Tour was very much part of my recovery.

I think there is one main trick for others to take away from this when thinking outside the box: never let go of the brain injury. Always be aware that your brain might not work the same anymore; alternative approaches might be required. But always believe that any TBI problem can be solved, or at least substantially reduced; always believe that you can and should be determined to recover.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. I've written a bit more on this subject in the post, Escaping TBI Escapism.

1 comment:

BrainandSpinalCord.org said...

It must be so hard to have something always hanging over you, but your tips are very helpful.