Saturday, 19 July 2008

Escaping TBI Escapism

In the post, TBI Escapism, I set out why I think Mike's World Tour wasn't about about escaping my TBI. Yet I talked about how I could understand wanting to run away from it all. How can I understand it, but not have similar desires, myself?

I guess, as you may be picking up, a big chunk of it is the sort of person I am: forever positive and upbeat. That doesn't mean, though, that I entirely avoided having escapist thoughts. When they came on, I guess I was able to focus on what I still had: a reasonable amount of health (that is, at least my accident wasn't worse!), a close and loving family and, yes, something of a life to be had; a life just waiting for me to figure out how best to live it.

I know times can be tough and the mountain looks massive for recoverers to scale. I guess it's almost a given a recoverer will have times when they'll want to run away from it. Thinking about the amount I still had helped get me through times when that feeling came on. It helped me escape TBI escapism!

Cheers,
Mike

No comments: